View Single Post
      01-15-2014, 10:27 AM   #1
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Question Some good news, some bad news, next car search begins

Gents:

So I received two pieces of good news -- that my wife's pregnant with our first child, and that I am going to be the Director of Operations (the #2 man in the squadron) on a combat flying deployment.
With this comes some bad news... I leave the country about 3 weeks before my kid is born this summer, and the second, I will be giving my M5 back to BMW (not worth paying on a lease for 6-9 months, and under service member relief act, there is no penalty to me)

Because of the pace of lifestyle and work upcoming, I need to start planning for what car I want to replace the M5 with now. I am looking to pickup in January 2015, and wanted to get opinions from you all on what course of action to take.

Some of my considerations:
1.) Really want to do ED, no matter what brand/car I go with... good vacation opportunity with the wife once I get back home.
2.) Budget is $120k or less
3.) Not too excited about putting a car seat or child in an M5 or equivalent car... I'm way too OCD about cleaning my cars... though I suspect I will just have to get over this in a lot of areas now, not just my cars.
4.) My garage is going down to my wife's '13 335ix (will be replaced in '16 or '17 with a x5 or 3-series wagon), my BMW motorcycle, my Ram quad cab truck (needed for weather and to pull my 8x14 enclosed trailer -- could be replaced by X5 if they ever get a solid towing package)
5.) So, I will add one additional vehicle that will be my DD, fun car, luxury car all in one. I'm not opposed to a coupe, but prefer sedans.

The car I really want is an F11 M5 (an M5 wagon)... but BMW does not make this like they did with the E60.

The second car I would want is a F11 M550dx.. but BMW does not import this to the states (if they did I would definitely go stage 5 and smoke all of you at the drag strip)

The third choice of car? well this is where i get conflicted... Do I go look at other brands since I am very much interested in a very high performance wagon, or do I look elsewhere?

This weekend, I did go out and test drive a MB E63S AMG Wagon... it had 7 miles on it and was like 1 of 15 in the country right now... my wife and I both found it powerful, but disappointing in most other aspects.

So now I sit wondering which direction to go... pretty much anything is on the table... staying with an M5 would let me get the full experience of a car I'm not even going to get a year out of... New M3 or a Vette? Both seem cool and could save some bucks, but I think I would miss some luxury and I like the wider cockpit of the 5. New P-car? probably can't afford the one I want right now... and I already prefer driving the M5 over porsche (though I have no 2013/14 model year time).

Right now, I am tending toward another M5, but going the full individual route to make it unique to me and having it for long term ownership...

What are your thoughts?