View Single Post
      05-25-2021, 02:23 PM   #6
Fix_The_Cigarette_Lighter
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: A couple of Mazdas

I just registered real quick to mention that I appreciate your thoughts.

Many reviewers and influencers encourage monetization of their content by saying controversial things or by appealing to predictable audiences. Meanwhile, there's also a long tradition within the automotive "enthusiast" community of bashing cars built for different priorities and tastes rather than celebrating the diversity of design that moves us both physically and emotionally. Besides, it's a classic tactic to try to strengthen your own ego by dissing others (especially on the internet).

Most of my faster cars have been two-seater format, either FE/RWD or ME/RWD. I've also had sedans*, hatches and other things - usually relegated to utilitarian roles. While I have driven a number of BMWs over the years, I never thought seriously about buying one or any other "performance sedan". As I've gotten older (50+), and needed a new car anyway, I started looking at four doors.

A buddy of mine recently bought a 330i and I was favorably impressed. I was also looking over the other "usual suspect" sedans from Audi, Mercedes, Jaguar, etc. In the end, personally (which is what counts), I liked the aesthetics, handling and especially the interior of the BMWs. I went into the BMW dealer thinking of buying a 3-series but I also tried a 2-series GC. Objectively, the 3-series is a tad bigger, which doesn't really matter to me. The interior has slightly nicer materials, but again not a big deal. I'm sure that a 3-series would be more amusing on a track but, again, that doesn't matter for this purchase. Subjectively though, I preferred the way the GC felt. Moreover, it was immediately available with exactly the options and colors I wanted. I could, of course, have ordered a 3-series and I know that it would have been shipped up from Mexico pretty quickly. As the saying goes, though, I had a bird (which I really liked) in hand.

As for looks - I feel that the 3-series is a more elegant car. Yet, the 2-series GC seems less affected than some of the larger models. To my eye, the GC is cuter and has an element of whimsy to it. While I like the lines of the 3-series sedan, I really like the lines of the GC. It's a serious car but doesn't take itself too seriously. Although certainly different, the GC gestalt reminds me of a high-school friend's 2002 - the only other BMW sedan that ever struck a chord with me.

The GC is a fun little car & it drives well. It may be different from the more traditional BMW offerings but, despite the rude hyperbole, a company like BMW doesn't make garbage. I do admit, however, that I miss having a clutch...

Nevertheless, I feel that all of us are blessed to be in a position to sit around and talk about nice cars, regardless of their characteristics. Stay healthy & enjoy whatever you drive.

-Ken

* = BMW marketing lingo aside, I tend to think of the GC as a sedan with a fast back.

Last edited by Fix_The_Cigarette_Lighter; 05-25-2021 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: further pontification
Appreciate 2