View Single Post
      02-27-2022, 02:06 PM   #7
Fix_The_Cigarette_Lighter
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: A couple of Mazdas

Yeah, cukeuk. Thanks. I mostly agree with you. Given my background, I went into this last car purchase with no real desire to buy a BMW but, after a way-too-short test drive and a recommendation from a non-car-guy friend, I came away thinking that it would be a decent vehicle for our varying needs. It was too much to ask from it. At least at this price level.

I'm not an SUV fan. The cross-over is mostly for the wife's use. I was hesitant to buy another turbo four cylinder with an automatic after the 228, but I find the motor in CX-5 is much more linear & predictable off the line than the 228. Surprisingly, the steering is also more communicative than the 228, at least to me. The wife likes it fine. At this point, though, if the CX-5 doesn't leave her stranded for four days then I'll be happy. The MX-5 is, as described, a toy.

I definitely agree with you about the harshness - the stiff suspension, plus the bigger wheels, plus the lower profile run-flat tires made it too firm for us (and, apparently, the tires too). At least with our roads.

In this situation, though, I'm not sure about the marketing hype. Nobody made us any "ultimate driving machine" style innuendoes regarding the CX-5.

I guess that it's a case of "horses for courses". I suppose that my other lesson is: At my age, I should follow my instincts and just buy what I really want the first time.

Take care.
Appreciate 0