View Single Post
      11-28-2020, 09:34 AM   #170
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
An EMT on another forum I frequent just posted up that all of the hospitals in her county (I'm in Pennsylvania, the county is suburban Philadelphia) are diverting ambulances to other locations. In other words they are all declaring themselves full. I'm not savvy enough about all of that to quite understand what it means but if I were to hazard a guess it is to let some of the hospital staff get a little holiday break if possible. This has to be really really tough on those folks.

She also said they're decontaminating the rigs at an unprecedented rate.
As a former EMT, that is not a good sign. It does not mean they are giving their staff a break for the holiday. It means they are at capacity and can't handle any more incoming patients.

When I was doing my time as volunteer, our primary hospital in my first due coverage area had shut down their ER for any further incoming patients because they were overrun and couldn't handle any more. We had to fall back on our secondary options which meant a longer transport time. Later that day they reopened and when we had a patient transport there, the ER still had tons of patients scattered all over. Some were on beds in hallways waiting for admission into the hospital.
Appreciate 0