07-13-2020, 08:11 AM   #12
knali8
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dappercivility View Post
Just to share my thoughts on the F40 M135i, from the launch, my comments to my friends working at the local BMW dealership was ugly front, what's up with the 4 banger and FWD focused X Drive platform and a few other complaints.

I have got a F90 Comp for family outings and the F20 118i for daily runabout work purposes. Told myself thank God, I have the last of the RWD F20. Recently got sick of the weak 1.5l 3 banger and started shopping for a "not too expensive" but with decent go daily. Tried out the F40 M135i, under hard acceleration, you can feel the car is FWD focused despite having X Drive but push it round bends and the chassis shines and the low and mid range of the mighty 2L 4 banger really shoves you in your seat!

During the day of the demo drive, it was raining rather heavily and yet the car cornered like it was on rails and gave you the confidence to push it hard. Its only when you are pushing the car hard on the straights do you feel the lack of displacement. The pull on high rpms seems to be lacking in torque and lacks the shove in the low to mid rpm range of this engine. The B58 shines in the high rpm pull seemingly endless in its power delivery.

Conclusion, the F40 M135i is a mighty hot hatch, even being used to the power of the F90 Comp, I came away impressed with the F40 M135i. I might be getting one soon, depending on the price negotiation I can squeeze out if I take the deal. For those that haven driven the car, do it a demo drive, I believe you will be impressed.
Like you said, I actually think the m135i really shines in the wet. On the straights sometimes i can feel the pull decreasing with rpms. ( it's actually better if you shift at 6k rpms ) When I switch on the RC tuning box on map 5 or higher, the car feesl perfect to me it pulls better where power would have been dying out.
Appreciate 2