View Single Post
      02-12-2014, 07:41 AM   #15
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
Grooves (tread) in tires only serve to evacuate water. Yes bald tires work perfectly fine in dry conditions which is also why racing tires are slicks. More surface area of the contact patch.
My comment may have been arrogant, but you are ignorant and rude ..
Ramos I'm not going to say your wrong, but I want to push the topic in a friendly debate - maybe we will both change are opinions a little.

1) I used to run my 240sx to where the tires were smooth, though without ABS eventually flat spotting and carcass appearing rather soon limited lots of road time.

2) racing slick with their rubber compounds heat up in a way I wouldn't imagine any if few treaded road tired would or ever could, and yes on road racing track tires tread and sipes are combined for water evacuation and I would guess some mechanical traction effect.

3) not sure if mostly marketing or science but when I purchased Michelin XGT's for my 240sx, after a review on Rpad & Track there was discussion that the tread block design ( new at the time ) enabled dry traction and the styrene in the compound wet traction.

4) Hoosier and Yokohama make partial slick tire face designs and not sure if that is enough evidence that tire wear down beyond wear bars are superior for dry traction.

5) though I can imagine wear down to around wear bar level on hot road surface may create more surface contact, better then a new tire?

6) tires getting shaved for track use, traction or reduce squirm and increase roundness, ( my XGT were shaved by Michelin from the factory for perfect roundness)

Just some thoughts , sure a magazine had done a test on the subject somewhere. And when your having a good relationship with a car you can go through tires at a high rate that at times you run the tires to extreme wear levels)

Last edited by overcoil; 02-12-2014 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0