02-11-2014, 08:09 PM   #10
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg007 View Post
What about everyone's thoughts on summer tire vs. A/S option? If I go w summer tire - for bettering handling - they'll inevitably need replacing after say 20km > How hard is it to replace the rubber w/o damaging the edges of the rims. My experience w Superior Tire the last time they fixed a nail in one of my tires, was that they chipped some of the OEM rims paint on the outer edges, and it didn't look too good. Can an OEM BMW dealer prevent such damage? If I go w A/S option then can avoid need to replace the rubber since last 40K+.
Depends on what you're going to be doing with the car. If you're an average "don't really push it too much" driver then the A/S run flats will be fine. If you go to at least 1 track day per year to really learn how to drive, and the rest of the time you're a "spirited" kind of guy, then non R/F's ( the car can be specified with these and you'll get Mich Super Sports which are just excellent). With those you'll need another set of rims with winters mounted on them from Nov. to early April - and it won't cost an arm and a leg if you shop wisely. There'll be lots of wheel choices from great vendors once the car hits N.American dealerships and until the new "2 ER" forum expands, you'll find the best ones on the M3 forums under the appropriate "Wheels/Tire/Suspension" sub-forum.

I have NEVER kept R/F's on any BMW's that came with them....and never will. Absolutely hate them. And they weigh a ton.

Fwiw, good luck with your decision and the car!!!