Thread: 2024 X7 vs. X5
View Single Post
      03-20-2024, 08:06 PM   #11
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50

I have an X7 and a family member has an X5. They're both the previous version of this generation (2022 for the X7 and 2023 for the X5).

Major technology and functionality and mechanical systems are the same, so issues will also be the same. Looks like massage seats are no longer available on the X5. Aside from any supply shortages like that, there shouldn't be any major differences between equivalently optioned versions of the two vehicles. The X5 45e (now 50e) (but not other drivetrains) has air suspension on both axles so that's also equivalent.

However there are *lots* of smaller changes that aren't listed on the spec sheets.

X5 has no recline in the 2nd row of seats, they're fixed position. The X7 has nice trunk carpeting on the lower hatch, the X5's lining there is crap (or it might even be hard plastic). X5 has manual folding/raising for the rear seats (wtf??? unacceptable at this price point), whereas X7 has everything motorized with the control panel in the back. Window switches and other buttons on the door are metallized instead of crappy black plastic (previous X7 also had this on the door switches). Bunch of other things that I'm probably forgetting about. Oh, another one, X7 has a push to pop open gas tank cover, X5 has a button by the drivers seat that you need to push to open the gas door. Manual vs side rear window shades. The list goes on and on. The keyfob is nicer on the X7 but that may not apply to the new models. Soft close doors, that's another big one, it may still be unavailable on the X5.

The biggest difference by far, ride quality on the X5 is shit compared to my X7. I have DHP and they don't, that may be a contributing factor but the difference is massive and I think there's more to it than just DHP.

I forgot to check whether their X5 had acoustic glass. I think it isn't supposed to. However, it was as quiet on the highway as my vehicle is. Plus btw, the 6 cylinder engine is much much quieter than the V8 in the M-lite models (though that's probably intentional). It's super quiet all the time (even at max throttle) whereas the V8 makes plenty of noise whenever you give it even a bit of gas. Obviously at constant cruise speed they're both silent though.

I don't recall what the price difference is between an equivalent X5 and X7. But whatever it is, it's probably worth it. X7 is much higher quality. I don't have children so the size of the X7 is wasted on me, but I wanted a nice vehicle and I'm glad I went with this instead of an X5.

Last edited by PinkNinja400Guy; 03-20-2024 at 11:15 PM..
Appreciate 3
jphcbpa317.50
TechCTU797.00