View Single Post
      05-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #6
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Something like that may be in the works, but for now, I think it's more to support the vehicles currently either being shipped or soon (the i3 and i8). The i8 already has the capability to go pretty much anywhere you can buy gasoline, and that's nearly anywhere. The i3 is not designed for long distances, and trying to support it in that mode doesn't make sense to me. Supporting it by expanding charging stations at places the i3 is likely to be used - shopping malls, hospitals, parking garages, sit-down restaurants, where that vehicle is likely to be driven to, and sit for awhile, means L2 equipment is both much more economical and practical. DC fast charging is a $500 option on the i3 last time I looked, and who knows what the take rate will be. It only makes sense to provide the capability when it is likely to be used. Should I buy one, I'd probably choose that, but as of right now, I do not know of any DC fast charging stations anywhere nearby. It may be a total waste of money.

While I'm now retired, the place where I worked over 5-years ago, had some charging stations available (all private property). As more of these things become adopted, and the demand goes up, businesses will see the advantage to offering it, either as a cost item, or maybe a free incentive.

BMW does have an association with a company that sets up and maintains public charge stations, and you get an account when you buy an i3 (unfunded, as far as I know, but they may put some nominal amount in it initially). The more account holders in an area, the more likely it will be feasible for that company to install stations.
Appreciate 0