Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patarix
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Active steering doesn't make it more agile, the active damping (adaptive drive) does. Active steering tightens up the steering feel (amount of effort required) when cornering and loosens for low speed driving (parking lots etc).
Hello Chrisny,

It's possible you are confusing Servotronic with Active Steering. Servotronic does exactly what you are mentioning: tightens the steering at higher speed (more effort is required when moving the steering) and gradually loosens it at lower speeds (less effort required).

Active Steering, a part from doing what Servotronic does, also changes the ratio of the steering, meaning the following: at lower speed, per every input on the steering wheel, the front wheels "turn" more than they would do at higher speeds, and vice-versa. I had this on a Q5 3.0 Tdi and it was by far one of the greatest features, it really made the car feel very nimble and agile at lower speeds that the conventional steering with standard Servotronic.

Please keep in mind that Servotronic was not part of standard equipment on the E70 X5 (at least in most markets), while it is standard on the new F15.

I hope this helps.

Take care,
Alessandro
was simply pointing out that active steering and active damping are completely different and NOT redundant, as the OP thought they were.
Appreciate 0