View Single Post
      07-02-2007, 08:53 AM   #17
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

I'm not sure what a proper BMW is anymore. They all seem to drive well (some extraordinarily so), but there sure is a large range of vehicles available that cater to a broad demographic. I've been a fan of BMW since the 70's, but the only one that I've owned was a E30 (back in '84 when the 325e first came out). I loved that car and rue the day that I sold it, so I'm a little biased.

That said I agree that the 135i seems to be a closer successor to the E30 than the current 3 Series does. I don't dislike the new 335i coupe, in fact I think that it's a beautiful car only it's more akin to a 6 Series. I like the more upright styling of the 1 Series coupe and I think that it's the right car for me if BMW can get the price point right. Of course, YMMV.

BTW WolfsburgerMitFries, thanks for the comparsion to the Camaro. That was pretty funny. I can't believe that I ever actually considered buying one, but with a big V8 they were kind of fun to drive as long as you didn't deviate to much from a straight line. Although I love the lines of the new 1 Series coupe, I saw someone call it a Hyundai in another thread. Evidently it doesn't please everyone. However I for one am very happy with what I've seen and it's likely that the 135i will be the car that gets me back into a BMW after more than 20 years.
Appreciate 0