View Single Post
      09-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #9
squadz
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post
Contact RIV office, let them know your situation and give them your VIN.
http://www.riv.ca/ContactUs.aspx

There has to be record of the car with them coming into Canada. In order to complete that entire process they need the Recall clearance letter.

The RIV sticker is something you get in the mail after you pass the long process. Supposed to stick it on the inside driver side door panel with the other manufacturer stickers. I put mine on the inside of the driverside door since there was no room in the spot desigated by RIV.

I had no issues with BMW Waterloo. I brought them my car and they knew it was a US vehicle. I didn't have to show them any recall clearance letter and they had no issue finding my car in their system. Weird they can't find yours on their system.

Maybe try another dealer??

Canadian tire does the RIV inspection but you don't give them the recall letter. That is mailed or in my case emailed directly to RIV.

Don't let them BS you about Canadian worthy. If the car passed RIV they can't make you do anything more (ie. turn on DRL if not already done). I have the rings on for mine and I passed the inspection. This dealer sounds a little shady.

Also as a side note don't spend the $500. I will look in my old emails I had a friend who did it and they paid less from a BMW Dealer in Ontario for that letter. I think 350-400 or maybe less ... not sure but it is the legit letter. So if you run out of options PM and I can pass along the contact.
Spoke to the dealer that sold my car. Apparently the RIV sticker is coming (wasn't on for some reason.. fishy? but then again who wants more stickers on their car).

There is a record of the car coming into Canada, but no record of it in any BMW in Canada. It is possible to import a BMW without the clearance letter, but you wont be able to use the warranty (which is my situation now apparently).

The reason I mentioned Canadian Tire was to double-check the car is up to standards (although I'd assume since it's registered and been here a while that this has been done already), and at least I have some backup to tell BMW where to go if they try to screw me when I bring it in.

Either way, my goal is for them to honor my warranty and then have them fix my whole car (there are some things that feel wrong with the car, might as well check the whole thing while they're at it).

Anyway to spend less money is always appreciated, if you have that contact still. Or if there is another way to do this process.
Appreciate 0