Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I just posted this elsewhere but wanted to make sure to include it here as well

"there is certainly no final rush to the red line and the actual substance behind the last 1500rpm feels a bit thin"

The EVO review, although pretty preliminary sums up nicely what I have been saying about the engine since the second I saw the torque curve (and pretty well knew as soon as the car was confirmed as turbo charged. My predictions have been the source of some crazy debate... Putting the statement above into it's full context...

The 7600 rpm redline is artificial, not really needed and kind of represents a poseur-ish statement by BMW knowing the outcry when they release an engine with a redline having the first digit a 6.... or even something like 7250, which is probably all that is needed. A big part of the thrill of the S65 is gone and for me that is very unfortunate.
I agree that this review clearly indicates a certain "turbo character trait" over the last 1500rpm. No question about it

What's confusing is that the reviewers have such different views on the engines character though... Just like on other things with the car. It's like they drove different cars...

Like here on throttle response:

http://www.completecar.ie/testdrives...aloon/722/3636

Quote:
Throttle response increases considerably through the other modes, and it's razor sharp in Sport Plus, meaning it takes a careful right foot to maintain smooth progress at low speeds - or over bumpy surfaces.
So, they call it razor sharp while others say it's not quite razor sharp...

But back to power delivery character. To post some differing reviews on top end power, that might put the "last 1500rpm" into context:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/b...drive-2014-5-8

Quote:
I had hoped they would save an extra surge of power for the top end, but actually it’s pretty much the same at 5,000rpm as 7,000rpm. Which is the same as at 3,000rpm, too. It’s extremely linear and pulverisingly fast:
http://www.focus.de/auto/fahrbericht...d_3827955.html

Quote:
Sauger-Feeling trotz Turbos

Nach und nach knallt man die Gänge rein, dreht den Motor dabei ziemlich hoch – der BMW hat zwar zwei Turbolader, doch er fährt sich eigentlich nicht wie ein Turbosportler. Die Lader des hochdrehenden Reihensechsers arbeiten nicht nach dem Twinscroll-Prinzip, eine Möglichkeit zur Eliminierung des Turbolochs, aber sie stehen ständig unter Druck, so dass beim Gasgeben ohne spürbare Verzögerung die volle Power parat steht. Der M3 / M4 fährt sich eher wie ein klassischer Sauger und die volle Leistung steht bis 7300 Touren Gewehr bei Fuß. (The M3 / M4 drives more like a classic NA engine and the full power is available until 7300rpm.)

550 Newtonmeter Drehmoment fallen über die Kurbelwelle her, und das über einen breiten Drehzahlbereich. Der BMW muss nicht erst Luft holen, wenn es zur Sache gehen soll - das Reihensechszylinder-Aggregat steht ständig unter Spannung und prescht jederzeit mit voller Power los.
I also read a review that claimed the engine felt most special above 5500rpm... (can't find it now, perhaps they retracted their statements )

So, to me it's a bit confusing as we have such differing views. Some say the sound is glorious, some say it sounds like a diesel... I have read a few reviews that say there isn't a great reward taking it to the redline (while others say it is rewarding). But none that say acceleration drops off... In fact Top Gear says it's extremely linear, but that there apparently isn't an extra rush on top. Linear to me sounds different than falling off... Sure, there is no extra rush over 5500rpm, it just keeps pulling at the same pace all through the rev range according to quite a few reports.

To me, there isn't any conclusive evidence

Last edited by Boss330; 05-09-2014 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 0