03-25-2010, 12:19 AM   #19
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studntloan View Post
oh no i forgot about the break in guess im going to have to break it in really fast, swamp, ive seen lots of people spend tons of money on bumpers and cosmetic mods that look worse then stock, id rather have it in performance, as far as i can see everyone chiming in saying its not worth it doesnt have it, ive talked to one person who does a while ago and they said it was the best money theyve spend on there e92, also alot of e46 owners have done this mod and all of them have nothing but great things to say about it
im not trying to start a fight at all, but what i was really looking for is for someone who has done this mod and has had a negative experience with it
thanks for anyone chiming in and giving your input
Whether you have a negative experience really depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a better quarter mile time and are expecting 0.2 or 0.3 second improvement, then you will be disappointed.

I was heart set on a 3.62 diff for my DCT, even armed with the knowledge I have around negligible raw performance gains. What put me off was the fact that some DCT users have reported the engine shifting to RPMs close or exceeding redline in automatic mode.

Of course you won't get that with the MT differential, so as long as you are happy that in a point-to-point hard out race the 4.10 diff probably won't make you any faster, then go for it. I certainly believe the driving experience will be better with the 4.10 diff - whether that is worth thousands of dollars, well that comes down to the individual person. Certainly many people won't pay thousands of dollars for something that doesn't give a measurable performance improvement.

Finally just so you are aware of this, you can achieve exactly the same outcome of a higher ratio FD by making your wheels smaller in diameter (reducing diameter of wheels increases torque applied at the wheels, but because circumference is reduced, a proportional decrease in vehicle speed at given engine RPM also occurs).
Appreciate 0