Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
They're trying really hard to justify the awful interpretation of vertical kidneys.

How about they give us explanation as to why they're getting rid of the Hofmeister Kink?
According to Dukec...

"The Hoffmeister [the forward swoop or 'kink' at the base of the window on the rearmost pillar of BMWs], for example — until the G20 every 3 Series had almost the same window graphic. That meant that when you saw prototypes — when you saw a new BMW, it could be the previous model if you just looked at the top of the car. This was something I never understood.

In all these discussions about our icons, people say, 'But you can't change the Hoffmeister, you can't change the kidneys.' But who says so? Mr. Hoffmeister just made one window graphic."

So his reasoning is because it makes you think its an old BMW, so instead for the new 4er, Dukec would like you to think its an old Audi A5 or Chevy Camaro from the window graphic
While they may be true, that is an absolutely dumb reason to completely change the kink. So that means that every single detail needs to change on every generation - nothing should be carried over. GTFO with that nonsense.

EDIT: I just read that article and personally, I think it's a whole bunch of s--t. Nothing he said in the interview provided any sort of conclusion or evidence that BMW design needed an overhaul. Whether you are talking about BMW, Mercedes, Audi or Porsche, all of these German manufacturers have for the longest time designed vehicles that represented what everyone knew them to be - nobody buying these cars care how much harder other "budget" brands or non-premium brands are working. No one buying these German cars sits there thinking why they can't be like all the others. People look/buy a BMW, Audi, Mercedes and knows it's that brand. If sales were on a downward trend, there's an argument to be made but even he pointed out that sales have in fact increased in important markets like the U.S. and China.

Last edited by TheBingoBalls; 08-01-2020 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00