View Single Post
      01-13-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
MINI135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C and 2013 FR-S

Thanks for the input.

As you can tell I drive the 135i 6MT, but in 2010 they will be releasing the new version of the 135i with a DCT and the N55 engine. Then, the following year, the M version of the 1 series coupled with DCT also.

It got me thinking that if the DCT was up to the task, one could drive the DCT equipped 135i like a go cart or F1 car, one foot on the accelerator and one on the brake the whole course while autocrossing. I left foot brake even with the manual set up in certain scenarios, but the DCT would make it even easier.

Like mentioned most time is spent in 2nd gear, but those big 180 degree turn arounds often call for downshifting into 1st on the fly (brake, clutch in, shift to 1st, heel-toe, release clutch) then craming back into 2nd as you accelerate out of the turn. This is the part where I wonder if DCT can be successful since you could be on the brake, shift, and accelerate more seamlessly? The down shift problem with the DCT might raise it's ugly head in this situation though? Being on the accelerator earlier would be ultimate the goal here. Any specific experiences with this scenario?

Last edited by MINI135i; 01-13-2010 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0