09-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #9
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marconi118 View Post
can a twinscroll turbo really replace 2 smaller ones?

As far as I undersood the only advantage of the N55 is that they combined gas pulses from different cylinders for fast spooling. In the N54 it is only possible to connect 1+2+3 and 4+5+6 ... but maybe with a custom made exhaust manifold it could be possible to do it on the N54...

The same in the X6M engine... 8 cyl in 4 turbo inlet (2 dual scroll)

the best should be 2 variable geometry turbo like in the 911 turbo...
Variable geometry only changes the vane angles in regards to RPM, requires servo motors to manipulate the vanes and also is a maintenance nightmare.

I am very well versed in the ///M turbo engine I have a good deal of time with it and have written on it extensively.

The twin scrolls effectively are two single turbos in one housing, so they would not use two of them to replace the N54 as a twin turbo, there is something else that can be done. I am not at the stage where I can explain all of that in detail as far as the US market goes.... The ///M motor is effectively 4 turbos through the use of 2 dual scrolls.

As far as the N54 with the HP bump that requires software and lots of cooling as we have seen in the 7er and now the power kit. The N54 while cleaner than many emissions wise is not where BMW needs or wants to be...