View Single Post
      05-04-2008, 01:37 PM   #7
kfiducia
Happy 1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 05 R6, 67 Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40yroldawakening View Post
We were told with our 335i, that ever so often you need to stick the fob in the switch while we are going for a long drive. It will re-famliarize (sp) the fob with the car and also charge it. The wife does it about once every month or so.
With comfort access, the car does NOT charge the key. Anyone who tells you this has no idea how the system works, or what they are talking about. I have heard this same wrong assumption from every person I spoke to at the dealership. What does that tell you? They are clueless when it comes to technical aspects of their products.
As for re-familiarization, oscillators can frequency shift, but most are locked to intrinsic characteristics of the materials. I would expect that the engineers at Siemens who designed this system know about these behaviors and have allowed for them in the design. No receiver has ideal filters on it that will pass only the frequency it is designed for.
Lastly, if the system needs to be refreshed periodically it should be stated so in the manual, so as far as I am concerned it is a design fault that needs to be fixed. This is a convenience feature - convenience and maintenance do not go well together.

Kyle
Appreciate 0