View Single Post
      06-16-2009, 04:19 AM   #17
JoeyFiasco
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArktisE92 View Post
Could somebody please explain to a newbie how the antifreeze+oil milkshake could eventually result in white smoke? Presumably from the mixture getting burned up in the cylinder? I thought the oil and coolant paths don't come into physical contact with fuel/exhaust in a normal engine... or are we saying that a faulty head would by definition leak oil into the cylinder?

Thanks for putting up with my newbie question...
being a newb myself, i have no issues with questions but lets read the whole thread prior to asking for answers already in an one page thread. a better question: besides a warped/faulty head gasket, what other events cause antifreeze to get into the oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
white smoke usually means antifreeze getting into oil via head. I had this happen on a VW Jetta. The head warped and I knowing little about it continued using the car for a while until it got too bad. So when I got it checked, the head was warped had to replace the head and gasket. I think they said the car got too hot thats why the head warped. BTW it drunk water oil looked milky whitish like a choclate mix swirl. Anti freeze just went in to oil, mostly. Some shiny oil residue in the radiator, but mostly the antifreeze in the oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
Sounds like your antifreeze going into the oil there. I'd be very surprised your head is intact. unless you have a cracked block which is way worse. Sorry man, and definitely don't run the engine any more or you'll just do irreparable damage to it. J/L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack1526 View Post
usually if you blow your head the gasket is what causes it.. faulty gasket equals coolant circulating around it to leak with wherever oil is, if you drain the oil and it comes out muddy, you'll know for sure the coolant has mixed with the oil

same thing happen to me with my integra, was able to clean out the head and replace the gasket
- just being a nazi
Appreciate 0