09-28-2008, 10:55 AM   #17
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTROIS View Post
On the other hand, there is one feature I really wish existed (or really wished I knew about... in case I missed in my manual too ): the reverse direction!! Imagine you are going from A to B...but A is a random location where you were when you decided to go to B... whenever your final location is C (you follow me??). So basically, I'd like to go to B, go back to A and then go to C... (that happened to me today while driving in the mountains I had to go to a dealership to get oil and then wanted to come back on a beautiful road....but could not find it anymore... just annoying).

Actually, we should start a thread of the "desired features" for iDrive 3 so that wir werden ein bischen die BMW-Ingenieure hilfen!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
Some navs have the ability to set "waypoints" -- so you could, for example, route from A to C, but tell it you want the route to go through B. Another common feature is "tracking" -- like leaving a breadcrumb trail behind, which either ticks the map with dots or leaves a highlight on the road as you drive over it. Not sure if the new BMW system does either of these, but they are relatively common features in other cars' (and portable) nav systems.
Well, I don't know if this will make you hate Gen 1 more, but Gen 2 does have the ability to set "waypoints" so that you can do exactly what you described. When you go into NAV, you use the OPTION key to select "plan trip with multiple destinations" and it is incredibly simple to build a route however you choose. Any destinations that you have previously entered can be called up easily for each leg of the trip. You can also set the system to reverse directions so that you can get home after going somewhere. A really nice feature!
Appreciate 0