View Single Post
      01-03-2009, 10:50 AM   #1
Squidbilly
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Keep tracking it?

I did my first HPDE in my 1er at Thunderhill and had a blast. I'm truly impressed with the power and handling after getting a chance to really push it. I've already enrolled for a couple of driving schools and plan on making track days a regular thing.

A few things happened at the track that makes me apprehensive about continuing to use the 1er (my baby!). Being a beginner, I was put in the limited group with other beginners--including some with more balls than brains that were driving way beyond their abilities. Over the course of the day, a few guys spun their cars in front of me. There was enough room to avoid them but it was scary nonetheless.

I also had several veteran drivers ask me if money was no object, or if I was planning on getting a dedicated track car. I think they were basically telling me that something could eventually happen on the track and I should be financially and mentally prepared. The day was also filled with debris flags, and minor accidents. Nonetheless, I loved it.

I'm trying to figure out what to do moving forward:
1. Continue doing HPDE's with the 1 --and face the consequences if something happens
2. Buy a 'cheap' track day car, like a Miata or E36 M3, gut it, add safety gear, and not worry if something happens to it
3. Rent track cars, like 'Rent-a-Miata', until I figure it out

Perhaps I'm being overly paranoid about the safety of HPDEs and my 1er......thoughts?
Appreciate 0