View Single Post
      09-11-2020, 11:17 AM   #4669
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
Even coming from north NJ where 200yds is long range, I respect the concept you mention. However I think if you're going to only have one rifle, then versatility should rule the decision. Admittedly, I don't know a damn thing about hunting. That's why I'm posing the question with reverence.
I think the particular situation that inspired my question is unique. I hadn't bothered to notice where the poster was located.
My first rifles were bolt action because they are primarily hunting rifles. Main thing is they are more reliable than semi-auto. Nothing worse than lining up a shot and getting a malfunction. Now if you want to just blow through ammo at the range, semi all day.

same thing i do for my hunting shotguns. i have a handful of semi and pump shotguns, but my go to for hunting is my over under. the only issue ive ever had with it is i have apparently become a terrible shot with a shotgun based on my dove hunts last weekend.

As for accuracy, you can get a semi that is very accurate now a days, so its kind of a moot point. but not too long ago, bolts > semi in terms of accuracy.

All that being said, when i go hog hunting, semi auto AR15 in 300 blackout all day every day. mainly cause you can just let loose with it.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0