Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
any manufactures to just stay away from? when looking at AR models?

deciding factors on pistols? ie cal.

can a remmy 870 be modified?
Palmetto State Armory (PSA) rifles generally get a bad review, but I haven't seen enough samples to verify that. The current generation Bushmaster rifles (now owned by Remington Arms) are not that good.

Generally speaking, if you get a mil-spec AR15, then you should have a good, useable rifle that you can easily modify or upgrade parts on. There are many companies that make the various parts and you can put them together in numerous ways. Hundreds of thousands of combinations.

A few recommend manufacturers: Smith and Wesson, DPMS, Bravo Company, Aero Precision, Daniel Defense, Ruger, Sig Sauer. All make complete rifles and the various parts that you can buy almost anywhere. California may be an exception.

For pistols, stick with the major manufacturers. Not because they are guaranteed to be better, but because you'll have more buying options and accessories for future use. Like devondragon said, 9mm is good. Don't get caught up in the caliber wars. Modern 9mm ammunition is completely capable of stopping a human.

Good pistol makers: Smith and Wesson, Sig Sauer, Glock, Springfield, Ruger, H&K, and others that I can't think of right now.

Personally, I prefer a full size pistol over a small pistol. I carry a S&W M&P 9mm concealed. Small guns may be easy to carry, but they are harder to shoot well. You may need or want a smaller gun based on how you intend to use it and carry it, or if you have small hands, or your clothing choices may limit you to small guns that are easily concealed, but know that you have to give up a little shootability for concealability.

In any case, buy a semi-auto pistol, not a revolver. You don't need/want to give up the ammo capacity of the auto for the simplicity of the revolver.

The Remington 870 is the most popular shotgun in the world. There have been more than 11,000,000 produced since it was introduced in 1950. Yes, it can be modified. As much as you want.

Even though it is a great shotgun, I generally don't recommend shotguns for self/home defense. The downsides outweigh the perceived benefits.

It sounds like you are new to guns, which is fine, and we are happy to answer your questions. You might be better off taking one gun at a time and learning about it, rather than trying to buy three different platforms all at once. If you only want one type of gun for now, a modern, mid- to full-size semi-auto pistol in 9mm will cover most of your needs. If you have a spouse, s/he should be included in your buying process.

No matter what you buy, invest in training. And I mean good training, not a day at the range with the local NRA instructor who teaches you how to load and clean. You need multiple sessions with a good teacher who can get you proficient in shooting your gun.
Appreciate 4
mantis276.00
Murf99314114.00