View Single Post
      04-17-2024, 11:55 AM   #5
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by krashDH View Post
I've done plenty of projector retrofits so very familiar with lens replacement as well.

In my experiences, the aftermarket lenses are garbage. They look nice at first, but where these companies cut corners is on the clear. They will chip/crack and start fading quickly. Then you're doing what I just did anyway. If you can get your hands on some OEM replacement lenses, that would be the only way I'd go, if you're comfortable baking headlights and removing lenses.

I've used their 2k for years on headlights. Before they had this specific headlight 2k, I used their 2k "Glamour" meant for body paint clearcoat. I've got a set of lenses on my truck going on 7 years with no protective covers and they still look new. This headlight 2k is superior for poly because of the UV inhibitors built in and the bonding/flexibility it has. But it's still a 2k clear. You need the hardener. 1k clears won't do the job. This with a set of the Lamin-X film and they'll look new a long long time since the film protects from UV as well. I don't anticipate ever having to do it again, it's a one and done if done correctly.
I'm replacing lenses on my E93 and E90. My E90 lenses are perfectly clear with zero yellowing however they're pitted. My E93 lenses are clear with no pitting but they're slightly yellow and hazy.

Baking is no help on these LCI headlights on my E90 since they're permasealed, but I've experimented on an old busted set and it's doable if you're careful and take your time, and requires cutting the lens off, then cutting the permaseal to remove the remnants of the clear part that's fastened to the channel. E93 would be next but I haven't done enough reading to determine how to get the lenses off or what projectors to upgrade with.

I was planning on adding headlight film to all the new lenses, would that not be sufficient to keep them from yellowing or pitting?
Appreciate 0