CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
Sorry to hear you had the damage and you have lost your ride for awhile.

I know little about how the undersides of radiators are typically designed/ built/ protected. Is this something you have more specific information on? Is it typical to have metal shielding there? Can others say whether this car is better or worse protected there from others (or about the same)? My guess is probably it is about the same (these aren't tanks, too much metal down low is not going to help the car out in all of the driving-related-functions) but that is purely a guess.

I suppose as well that without know what was hit it is hard to know if this was 'shit happens, bad luck' or 'design flaw'.....but it sucks in the meantime. Sorry man. On the bright side for you, you'll be rolling again before your pal Padfan9, right?
To make the car track worthy, BMW had to put A LOT of coolers in the front of the car. 2 radiators for the engine coolant, 2 radiators for the intercooler (not counting the intercooler itself), one DCT fluid cooler, one engine oil cooler and a radiator for the A/C. With soo many coolers to fit, the engineers had to be creative as to where to put them all and the oil cooler ended up in a spot that is more vulnerable to road hazards.

When I looking at my car (crawling under it to look at every detail), I thought to myself, ouch, that is a vulnerable spot when I looked at the oil cooler. Although I have to say, it is very well designed from an efficiency point of view.

So to answer your question, yes, IMO, the F8X is a bit more susceptible to suffer radiator damage compared to other cars.
Appreciate 1