View Single Post
      02-15-2007, 08:17 PM   #22
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan@mwerks View Post
S2K, I don't want to throw every driver into one category or another. It's tough to communicate nuance and subtlety in discussion forums, so I'll expand a little on my earlier comments to help clarify my feelings.

First, on the issue of this car appealing to younger drivers, I think it's only natural that BMW's smallest, least expensive car will do just that. BMWs in general appeal to young, affluent, educated buyers; the 1 Series will be no different. What I'm hoping is that the car doesn't become stigmatized as a "kid's car." It's what turns me off of the GTI, WRX, Evo, and so on. That said, don't assume I'm not a fan of performance cars. Quite the opposite is true. But my boy-racer days are behind me.

Whether we like it or not, our cars make statements about our personalities, and you will be judged by what you drive. At 36 I'm not out of touch with youth, but I'm certainly more accomplished and mature than I used to be, and I want my car to convey that to a degree.

Second, on the subject of modifying, I'm all for it. The only car I've ever owned that wasn't modded in some way was an 84 Saab, and there simply wasn't an aftermarket for that car (even wheels were a nightmare to find). My 1 Series will be no exception. As I stated above, I truly believe a car is an extension of your personality. Wheels make a very personal statement, suspension determines a car's attitude, and so on.

What I disagree with is taking a fully compentent car and molesting it to the point of uselessness in the interest of making it your own. But to each his own.

In the end, I'll probably enjoy my 1er regardless. But it would certainly be nice to have some company.

Ahh I see. I totally agree with you on all 3 counts Bryan. I dont want it to become a "kids car" either. I cant stand that the whole modifying something great either. My s2k is completely stock and i love it!! :wink:
Appreciate 0