View Single Post
      02-15-2007, 10:50 AM   #17
bryan@mwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest View Post
Don't know where everyone else is in life, but as a mid-30s professional with young kids and two cars, one of which is a minivan, the 1-series is perfect. BMW quality/performance/design/prestige, 4 seats, a trunk and, hopefully, a semi-affordable price tag. With the minivan as the family car, we have all the space we need, so the 1er will be my sanctuary, as is my current car...
More or less in the same boat- 36, white-collar, married, 1 toddler, 4 dogs and a house in the suburbs. I've driven GTIs/Golfs most of my driving days, but feel I've outgrown the "tuner" crowd that seems to follow that car these days. I could easily buy a 3 Series, but I still love small cars, so the 1 Series really appeals to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest View Post
Of course I'm saying all this because I really hope the Little-Johnny-Richboy-look-what-Dad-bought-me-cause-I-got-an-A-in-math image is not so easily attached to this car.
I'm still worried that's going to be a problem. It's the nature of the market. Young, affluent kids will be drawn to the badge and sympathetic parents will be able to justify the purchase because it's "just an entry-level" BMW. It's an unfortunate fact of life, but I think there will be some divided factions. One camp will be the mature driving enthusiasts with respect for older cars like 2002 or E30 M3. Another camp will be the young rich kids flaunting their parents' affluence.