View Single Post
      09-06-2016, 10:51 AM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Ya'll need to experiment with the latest cooling tables, they help a tremendous amount when idling/sitting in traffic. My coolant hasn't gone over 195 since making some modest tweaks.

A bit of a sidetrack, I know.
Been meaning to do this. 195F would be good, did you change the thermostat? I thought the stock T stat was 206F? Mishimoto has a T stat for 165F.

Just don't have the fans kick on too early, they put a good amount of load on the charging system and battery.

My C6Z has a 160 T stat. Fans start at 185 with about 30% power. In the hot summer with the AC its a bit too early as they are always on even on the highway.

I'm about to change them to kick on at 190 instead. That 5 degree difference is that much better.

My alternator couldn't keep up with the amperage necessary to keep the fans going full bore and still charge the battery so I ran into a lot of dead battery issues, even with new batteries. Even though I was getting 14.5 volts while charging the amperage of the fans was draining too much.

Also the stock radiator is pretty inefficient (on that car). Even in 30 degree ambients I couldn't get the IAT lower then 174. Although I think that's because the coolant temp is read at the inlet but yea now I'm on a tangent.

Anyway, moral of the story, go with 190F as starting temp for fans, it's usually a good starting point, too low may be leaving them on while driving on the highway.

If you are in situations where your fans are on all the time even on the highway, it may be time for either radiator upgrade or raise the fan starting temp.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 1
135Pats455.50