View Single Post
      03-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #4
Jon Fi
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 x28i

Congratulation on your new car.

We also just got delivery of our new X3 replacing a 2012 X3, to add to your list of observations:

- we switched from the 3.5 six cylinder to the 2.8 four cylinder motor which is quiet and delivers good acceleration. I am missing the sound though :-) and the fuel economy so far is only better by 2 miles/gallon (24 vs. 22)

- we opted to not take the lighting package this time, big mistake! The halogen lights are awful and we actually feel insecure driving at night. We are exploring retrofitting at least with Xenon lights, which will probably set us back around $2500

- not sure what and if any was changed on the brakes however we find the brakes missing responsiveness and are feeling quite soft. In case you need them one really needs to press the pedal down hard. There seems to be an 'inofficial' retrofit possibility with an M braking package that we are exploring

- we also opted for carbon metallic and really like it, we also had it on our previous X3. However the paint appears to be 'soft', I tried to remove a little bug splash on it with my finger and scratched the carbon metallic surface immediately.
Already in the showroom we had spotted some dull areas on the front bumper around the headlight washer ports and around the lower opening. It might have come from the protective film when transporting the unit? The dealership tried to remove it when we took over the car but those efforts did not last. We just went to the dealership paint shop and they recommended to use the car wash around the corner to get it polished there. Really?

- I like the new Idrive with the writing functionality, that makes searching or data entry so much easier

- the front and back camera deliver a great, crisp picture

- it took us quite some time to program the garage door opener. The manual calls to press both buttons in parallel, which did not work. Only when pressing the buttons in sequence we were successful. As of today we have not figured out how to change the timezone.

- the wireless charging works well however the slot in the armrest is really tight. We have protective covers on our phones and need to squeeze them into place. I am concerned that the plastic holder will brake in the not too distant future but don't want to strip the phone every time I want to charge it there.

- I can also confirm that there is some penny pinching that we have observed
* there are no door sill protectors for the back passenger doors, on our M model they only come for the front doors. We just bought them from BMW, expensive and no M logo
* the button for the tail gate was moved to the driver door panel which is convenient. However the panel, where this button was located previously was not replaced, the opening for the switch is just patched with a piece of diffent looking plastic
* the opening where the side blinkers were mounted on the front fenders was covered with a simple chrome colored plug. We are thinking of retrofitting the blinkers

While we were very enthusiastic when we got our 2012 X3 this one feels different, unfortunately.
Appreciate 0