04-21-2009, 01:24 PM   #5
JME
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
These are on the stock wheels :D

I have 245/35/18 Kumho V710's on all four corners with a 5mm spacer up front. The Kumhos run very wide, so the spacer was necessary. If you were running on the GTS-rs you would only be able to run a 2mm spacer and still be in stock class since the GTS-r already has a 4mm more aggressive offset than the stock wheels.

This is strictly for autocross, and I do not recommend that tire size on the street. One thing I have learned over the years is that two different brand of tires with the same size might have very different actual dimensions. The 245 width Kumhos on my 8.5" stock wheels are actually wider than the 255 width General UHPs on my 8.5" Breytons. I laid them both on my basement floor and the difference was quite obvious and dramatic. If you do decide to go with this size tire I would suggest NOT taking it to your local tire shop to get mounted. Getting a tire that wide on a narrow wheel is a pain, many shops won't do it.

It could be that a 245 width tire of a different brand and/or model will fit better on the front wheels, but I highly doubt anything wider than 235 will be acceptable for street use on this wheel.

Of course, back in the day I had 255/60/15 tires on the back of my 71 mustang..... on a 15 x 7 wheel and they fit just fine. Had 235/60/15's on the front and MAN did that thing look mean. I doubt that the same brand in a 255/35 would fit quite as well :D

I have Breyton GTS-r wheels with General UHPs in 225/40/18 and 255/35/18 for street comfort. Unless you plan on tracking with your street tires, I highly recommend these tires for ride quality and stick to dedicated track tires on different wheels.

I'll take some pictures of the wheels/tires off and on the car this weekend while I am prepping for an autocross.
Appreciate 0