View Single Post
      10-12-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev131tc View Post
This topic confuses me unless RFT switchers are buying a spare wheel (and tyre) and jack along with finding a secure place to carry same...or are switchers taking a chance with being stranded with a flat..?
You know... if you have a flat with your RFT and you continue to drive on it, you'll destroy the tire. So you're 400 miles from home with a flat, no spare, and you think that any local shop stocks RFTs in this size? What if it happens on a Sunday? Or you get a flat, the tire isn't destroyed, but you are miles from a tire repair shop, on a Saturday night? So you call roadside assistance, three hours later a rollback shows up, takes you 80 miles out of your way, you get a hotel for the night, nothing is open on Sunday so after another night at the Super-8 you get the tire patched Monday? Ha! I think that shows a lack of planning there my friend.

I see that Kev is in Ireland. Out in in the far reaches here in the colonies, you can literally drive hundreds of miles between towns. Or where I live, in the Southeast, everything shuts down for the Lord's day (Sunday) and you generally can't get a tire fixed, anywhere. So trip planning may be a little different than in the UK or Europe.

RFTs are not the panacea that you might wish for (not to end a sentence in a preposition). You should have a bottle of slime and air compressor in your trunk regardless of the tire type. Or a can of fix-a-flat if you prefer. Me, I carry the former and on out of town trips, I have a spare, jack and lug wrench. You can get a kit from Tischer BMW that has everything you need, around $350. Expensive? Yes. How much for two nights in a hotel, ruined vacation and delayed trip? Priceless.

And the F10 trunk is so huge you can put a mini spare back there and still have room for luggage. I used to put the spare in my E92, and that was a tiny trunk, but we still made it work.

References:
Spare tire kit
Slime
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0