Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_bmw View Post
I had intermittent issue with my key card and couldn't get in. I didn't have my fob with me and thought I was screwed, then thought of using my CD unlock feature. Still it would be inconvenient to re activate the key card every time.
Hm, so the theory would be that with just CD app and inactivated keycard inside the car (no fobs in sight), you would open your car through CD, access iDrive without a fob, find your inactive key card hidden inside the car, activate it using iDrive, and merrily drive away?

Interesting, if obscure, use case and while I haven't tested that, if I was a BMW engineer, I would absolutely make sure that this could not be done as it is a significant security issue. It would allow anyone (not just you), with an inactive key card to activate that card in an otherwise unlocked car, bad idea.

PS: I strongly believe BMW issued key cards are bound to your specific car. You cannot order one without a VIN and the delivered card will only work in that specific VIN car, this I've tested (key card hobby project with the dealer). So another security layer there.