Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
Swamp,
You would make a good financial advisor. If I went for the 335 I would have to go on and on about poor throttle response, overheating, run flats and worst of all, a lack of an LSD. BMW in their infinite wisdom welded the the differential making it much more difficult to give the 335 the LSD it so badly needs. I understand you don't like my negative analysis of the M3 because it rains on your M3 parade of praise.

Semantics aside, maybe I should hold you to your claims and you can count the reports that have mentioned a lack of feel in the steering vs those who have said it has good to excellent feed back and feel. You forced me to look up the Cayman performance numbers on a tight track. You know as well as I do, I speak the truth about the reports on steering feel. I don't understand your need to try and rationalize it away. You are more objective than that. I know I haven't drove it but you are also making a million assumptions about DCT that hasn't even been anounced yet. We are all getting info from the same sources. The only difference between you and I is if I point out a negative, I am beating a "dead horse" and need to give it a rest. If you point out a positive you get a ton of that a boy from the BMW fan boy faithful. So you don't think singing the M3 praises day after day post after post hasn't been covered or beat to death yet?

I am overly critical about all cars but I believe if we step away from the M Marque and it's addictive glow we can see the car as just a car because that is all it is. And if enough of us can remain halfway objective, we can get BMW to fix the steering by under engineering some feel back into it.

Take your BMW praises to other forums and see if your posting fortunes are as praiseworthy.
You have me wrong if you really think I don't like your post because it rains on anyones parade. I don't like it because it is repetitive, not novel and frankly a bit helpless. By the way I'd hardly call it an "analysis", more like a repeating of select journos...

Your points about settling for the 335i are significant (and some novel to me as a relative 335i noob). What is the comment about welding and the LSD though? Are you sure? Could that blow a hole in the argument about how cheap and easy it is to get a 335i to handle like the M3?

I will be the first to admit I am a big fan of the M3. I have not attempted to rationalize the steering feel away. May I remind you who was first to quote that terrible video review of the steering feel that mentioned something like "completely numb"? Can I remind you who slammed BMW on mutliple occasions for half truths about the weight, the mpg, the relative lack of innovation in the car, its lack of DI, greedy option packages and just today my comments to our friend Scott about BMW Marketing and DCT (trust you saw that one - if I do say so myself...). No matter how little or how much you may insinuate I am not a fanboy.

Not to get too OT but there are barely any assumptions nor any unreasonable ones in my recent DCT analysis. Sure it is techy, sure it really focuses on small gains but so what - not objective it does not make me. On the other hand I'm sure many here will agree with me that you do simply beat the dead horse on potential problems with the car. I know you are a fan, certainly not totally negative but your post simply rings of helplessness. Sorry if that sounds too harsh, it certainly does not mean you are helpless, but what can you really do? You need to stop worring about things you can't change and WAIT FOR A BLOODY DRIVE. At the same time I certainly don't mean you should not just post what is on your mind. That is what the forum is for!

I also disagree with you about where I get my information from as well as the repitition of my posts. My style and one clear goal in posting here is to bring objective, scientific and novel information to the table from my own work. Sure I have dug around on other sites and recycled or re-posted information when I thought it timely or relevant but your characterization of me here is simply not correct. I wouldn't say I am particulary guilty of singing the same praises over and over again. Sure I like to get my little M-DCT comments in here and there, but it is all in good fun. It is not a full page of gloating, ranting, boasting or signing the praises of BMW.

Your closing comment above is almost embarrasing ruff. Come on you can do better.
Appreciate 0