08-04-2011, 05:51 PM   #9
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory1968 View Post
Unfortunately you can only select neutral when the engine is running. BMW tech told me that they have raised it with BMW as having to jack car up and disengage gears from underneath was not good enough.as for BMW assist they left at 22:30hrs to sort myself out. Heard her on the recovery drivers phone say leave the scene!
FYI I append salient points extracted from an instruction issued by BMW Germany, entitled "Automatic Transmission Emergency Release"
1. Activate ignition
2. Press brake pedal
3. Press start/stop button
4. As soon as engine is cranking, press unlock button on gear selector and move it forwards to position N. Continue to hold the gearshift in this position until the alert gong sounds and you see the message "Gearbox Dysfunction" - now release the gearshift lever.
5. Reselect gear position N within 6 sec
6. N is then displayed on the instrument panel
7. Keep brake pedal depressed until engine stops cranking (presumably you press the stop/start button to stop the starter motor at this point)
8. The ignition must remain activated in order to maintain N, once it is switched off the transmission will revert to P.
I did not get this from my dealer, but from a very reliable source and it is an official BMW publication; therefore, I'm somewhat surprised to hear that your dealer is unfamiliar with the procedure.

Last edited by Jon D; 08-04-2011 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0