View Single Post
      03-01-2018, 09:29 AM   #3
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankchn View Post
I think for its intended purpose of being a sporty executive express made for someone who is earning $300k+ a year, BMW made the right choice in going for AWD, which gets better real world performance for everyone on the street and the track unless they are professional drivers.

If BMW made a RWD F90 M5 as an option, I bet the take rate would be similar to the manual F10 M5s, which is to say miserable, and perhaps a money loser.

If people want a truly engaging driver’s car for the weekend, any of the super sedans would be a compromise, AWD or not, and they are better off buying an R8, a 911 GT3, or even stretching for a 570S instead.
I respectfully disagree sir. Perfect example, E39 M5. A car that could be used as a daily driver absolutely. The problem you allude to really has to do with curb weight of these super sedans these days. I know that if ///M made an alternate version of the F90 M5 with a RWD only setup that was 250lbs lighter, had better steering feedback, less understeer, featured less options such as no Night Vision, but also included optional carbon front seats or something to make the car more sporty, wider rear tires (say 305mm), hell they could even give it less power and torque just like Lambo does with the LP580 Huracan, and I would be the first one at the dealer to buy such a car. They could even go with a lighter less powerful naturally aspirated engine for such a RWD M5, say put the V10 back in and give it only 570hp, and I'd probably sell one of my kidneys for such a car. Yes such a super sedan would be slower than a turbo AWD M5 in the 1/4 mile and from 0-60, but being about 350lbs lighter overall, it would be such a better drivers car and decimate all other contenders on a track and canyon roads.

I guess my point is that the BMW M550i already achieves that fast, comfortable, turbo luxury sedan feel that is usuable every day on the street. ///M cars should have still focused on the driver experience with superb steering feedback, an responsive engine that communicates, a lighter chassis built for the race track, superior traction management without the need for AWD, a transmission that requires real driver input, and lastly more aerodynamics built into it for better downforce, grip and handling. All of these attributes can be built into a sports sedan, and I think ///M has forgotten that. The R8, GT3, and 570S are all fantastic cars, but they are all single use cars. The M5 is supposed to be able to do it all, including have that same race car driving experience as you would get in a GT3. At least this is what the E28 M5 had when it first came out.

And I think this is what the article about the R8 RWS is all about. Driving the car that is the better drivers car.

Appreciate 1