View Single Post
      08-21-2014, 02:56 PM   #5
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

My only clay bar tips are as follows (beyond the above tips, which are good):

1) You can tell whether your car needs to be clayed, or not, by just feeling your paint texture after you wash/dry your car. I just washed my M4 for the first time yesterday and the paint is so clean/contaminant-free, I went right ahead and used some spray polish. No clay needed! I'll wax it shortly

2) After driving the car through the winter, or through a rain storm where road contaminants splash onto the paint...you can literally "feel" the surface of your paint and the bumpiness (w/no visible evidence) of the contaminants. Spray liberally w/Speed Shine (I use Griot's Garage) and lightly glide the clay over the paint. You'll see the yellow clay begin to turn brown/black w/the contaminants and feel the resistance as you glide the clay over the paint

3) Careful of letting any dirt get on the clay or of not using enough spray lube. The clay will get hung-up if you don't have enough spray on the paint, so do a small section (one door, for instance) at a time

I don't do my whole car...I only use clay where I feel the contaminants after washing.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0