View Single Post
      09-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #11
douggreglas
Rep
Drives: ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s View Post
Yes, the lower horn completely blew out in my car.

Turns out that it was because I flashed my high beams while I was blaring my horn at someone drifting into my lane. I didn't quite connect the two, but I remember that ever since that incident, the low pitched horn gradually started to get raspy and eventually fizzle out over the course of a few months.

I'm getting a new horn covered under warranty. I still think it's a possibility that the plugged in phone overworked the circuitry because a horn shouldn't fail simply because I flash my high beams at the same time.
No. There is absolutely no way the current draw from the phone is causing problems. A standard USB port supplies at most 500 mA @ 5V, or 2.5 watts.

The alternator on a 3-series, meanwhile, supplies between 2,400 watts and 2,900 watts (varies with trim level).

Let's assume that various inefficiencies (stepping down in voltage, losses in the wiring system, etc) lead to your phone putting 10 watts of load on your car, then your phone uses up about 0.4% of the alternator's capacity.
Appreciate 0