View Single Post
      07-15-2008, 06:32 AM   #8
Swift135
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 330d, M3 DCT E92

I agree, there is no reason that BMW would be condoning something that would be to the detriment of their engines. Come on, they have been known for years for making the worlds best engines, thats a fact. By the way this guy burred up when I questioned how could a fresh oil change not be of benefit; he was adamant that the engine would seat in better with the factory oil fill being used until the car signals that its time for a change. From that point on change the oil as often as you want. He suggested that the initial oil had something in it to help the parts wear in, and that the rubbing/wearing in, with this oil, set up the engine for a long functional life. The subsequent oil changes are all about maintaining that "tightness" and keep wear to a minimum. He stressed that it would take about 20 000km to get the engine to its most efficient point and this was done with the "special" factory run in oil. He convinced me. But I didn't ask what the regime would be if you planned on racing the car on a track for 1 hour every 2 weeks.??