05-05-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
PTinVT
armchair enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 340xi, 02 325Cic, 93 850Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTinVT View Post
E46 verts have the front seat belts built into the seat, not the frame/B-pillar... if that's safe enough for vert owners, then why not for coupe owners? If the belt was built into the seat, that would eliminate the need for the E92 "handing you the seat belt" valet arm, which is cute but appears to me to be just one more electronic/mechanical nightmare to repair out of warranty.
Ironically enough, I've had the car just over 3 months (CPO), put barely 1000 miles on it, and just had my first thing go wrong: I discovered my passenger side "handing you the seat belt arm" doesn't fully retract any more. It still works, but looks funny hanging out partway all the time. Not sure how long it's been like that. Not worth a trip to the dealer, but the start of my fix-it list...

Now that warm weather is here, I'm reminded of the joys of driving a coupe with the windows open on the highway and getting beaten up by the seatbelt, which is exposed and flapping about from the seat to the b-pillar (and I'm a short guy). Doesn't happen in my E46 vert!
'71 Buick Riviera, 455 V8 land yacht
Appreciate 0