01-15-2022, 09:05 AM   #74
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
so i've been doing some deep diving into these smaller EV vehicles to replace my civic

The claimed range is a bit misleading since my commute is about 70-75 miles round trip with sitting me sitting at 80mph 99% of it. Driving at those speeds destroys the 'claimed' range.

2017 e-Golf has a listed range of 111 hwy. however in looking at a chart on an e-golf forum the consumption goes up significantly with higher speeds. with the range dropping to around 87 if you do 80mph in an ideal scenario.

then add cold weather, tire pressure drop on cold day, needing to use the heater/wipers, deal with headwind, adding a few miles going out for lunch during work... it makes me weary.
Despite the lifecycle cost issue, this is really what kept me from switching to EV when I was commuting 175 miles a day. Cold winter range. My company would not install EV chargers at work. The problem with EV is heat, because it impacts range significantly, easily by 25% or more. ICE has heat, and tons of it for free, and its impact on range is insignificant.

My friends with Teslas said, "just top off at a local fast charge station for 30 minutes". Well, if your commute on a good day is already 1 hour 30 minutes, adding another 30 minutes falls into the NFW category. Yup, I had to fuel up two times a week on average with ICE, but it was 10 minutes total, and gave me time to use the restroom.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2