SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
How did you like your Z4 35iS?

I had a 30i for a few years and really liked it, and love the idea of getting a 35iS and going to town with top notch suspension, brakes, exhaust, and power increase!

It's not a Boxster, but in isolation it was great fun and miles more enjoyable to drive than any 3 series I've ever driven.

In answer to your question is ask what you really need your car to do? A tourer is a great all rounder, but it lacks the agility and fun factor of the 140i. Do you need the space?
I loved the 35iS. I had two. First one in black looked great but was a nightmare for 3 months ... in the dealer 5 times I think for a month in total and got rejected. Second one was in metallic white and looked great + was in the in the main faultless for 2 years.

The 35iS is an experience every time you drive it. The exhaust makes it. The adaptive suspension was good and in sport mode the exhaust was great. Proper pops and bangs + it blipped on downshifts. It turned heads with it's looks and the noise. The performance at 4.8 to 62 (conservative I think) made it a dream to drive and overtake in. A big GT though more than a sports car.

The reason I sold it was practicality which I need at least a bit of. The bloke I sold it too - when he realised it was a good genuine car - thought I was mad ... and still has it, having added about 20K to the 7K I did in it. i think he is 'using' it a bit better than I did up north compared to London !

I don't need the space but have had a 330i touring back in 2003. It was ok space wise but not too big. The A45 is surprisingly tardis like inside and not as small as people think. I find the 1 series more cramped but loved the M135i engine noise when I drove a couple. I just found the steering vague and it was like driving a car on eggshells compared to the A45 ! I read that the M140i has sorted this ?

I have bought cars before just because I like them - a Rover 827 Vitesse years ago springs to mind. No need for the space but I liked it so bought it. The 340i is a bit like that ... don't need the space but the appeal of a slightly different 340i with perf and sound pack is potentially greater than the more sensible and quicker M140i.
Appreciate 0