United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 430i

Garage List
2021 BMW 430i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
My hope is that BMWi will bring Tesla some serious competition
I took a really serious look at the Tesla Model 3 before ordering a new 4 Series...while the Tesla has attractive exterior styling (IMO) and an impressive range and 0-60 stats, its not a luxury car. While the interior has a cool glass roof, it only has an iPad screen for nearly all of its features and its simplicity is sort of annoying.

For me, I prefer the luxury and features of BMW's and the superior ride quality. The Model 3 Tesla has non of that. From the cheap-feeling pleather non-sport seats, plastic nearly everywhere, small steering wheel, and lack of expected options, I just couldn't pull the trigger. The fact that there isn't even a power trunk or HUD was the deal breaker for me. In addition, no Apple CarPlay, just google maps without perspective view, no top down cameras, annoying touch screen volume, air condition controls, vent direction, poor rear visibility and small rear view mirror, etc. Honestly, the only things I liked about it were the ease of autopilot and the glass roof.

Also, the acceleration, while quick and effortless, doesn't provide the same (or any) exhilaration as you get from an engine. The feedback is non-existent and while its something we'll all have to get used to in the future, it isn't a compromise I wanted to make yet.

There is a wide array of aftermarket accessories and customization available from unrelated venders, but who wants to deal with spending the extra time and money for better wheels, non-high gloss black trim, footwell/interior lights, power trunks, or seat colors other than black or white?

I really wanted to like the Tesla Model 3 and took 4 separate test drives. But no matter how much the Tesla fanatics and owners brag about it on YouTube, it has all the excitement and feel of an under-optioned Toyota Camry. Plus, their leases suck too.

I suspect the real comparison to the upcoming BMW i4 will not be the Tesla Model 3, but the much more expensive Model S.
Appreciate 1