05-29-2015, 07:23 PM   #12
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
FTS Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts. From all I have gathered, the front suspension on the F8x seems to be huge pain to deal with (fixed camber, myriad of plastic covers and strut brace to remove). The setup on the 911s are much more simple (http://www.elephantracing.com/tool-b...n-overview.htm) in comparison, but again we are comparing a dedicated sports car chassis to what is basically a heavily modified sedan. But again, you have to remove the rear bumper on the 991 just to replace the air filter... and the centerlocks on the newer 991s are quite annoying to deal with (do look nice though)

It is nice to know these little details that only come with a long term ownership. Which GT3 do you also own, 997.2 perhaps? Would be nice to hear some comparison between a well sorted out F8x like yours to a 911 down the line. Kind of gathering information at the moment on future car purchase.
Thank you! Some of my comments on the GT3 is in this thread starting with post #68: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...1019409&page=4

And my first review of the F8x that includes some comparisons are here: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=999575

I don't think I am yet qualified to compare the F8x to any Porsche from a track perspective, I am quite far off the M4s capabilities still. However, I'll add few thoughts: I have a renewed appreciation on how easy it is to work on Porsches compared to Bimmers, and believe me, for me it has been less costly to maintain a Porsche than a BMW thus far.

I still maintain though the M4 is a bargain. I believe we are getting about 80% of the performance that a 997 or 991 GT3 offers at 50% price discount, and to me that is a bargain. As long as one can accept the fact that the 20% gap cannot be eliminated in any way, can be narrowed, but not eliminated. With the use I get from the M4, that gap is not important to me; however, for people that have never had it and don't know what that 20% is, getting a GT3 is an obsession nowadays. At the prices the 997 cars are selling, I am in shock there are people paying and driving them. They are not worth it IMHO.

The first and most important problem I have with the 991 GT3 is that it is not motorsports derived. To most people that does not mean anything, it is similar to ///M no longer means Motorsports, and I understand that. However, a Porsche GT has to be linked to the GT3R and GT3RSR and the GT3 Cup has to be based on the homologation of the GT3RS. The reason I believe that is important is because:
  • The engine and transmission have to be designed for endurance reliability and quick serviceability
  • The chassis and geometries have to be optimized for endurance racing in mind
  • The obsession of Porsche on weight is not an accident and comes from strict need and desire to win in endurance racing
  • Cooling of all essential mechanical components, including front and rear brakes need to be accounted for in the base car

None of the above are part of the 991 GT3, and to me it is not a GT car, but a marketing ploy, similar to ///M brand. So, if I am right, why would I pay a premium to Porsche over an ///M?

As you probably know, there are major engine and chassis changes to the 991.1 GT3RS. It is supposed to truly homologate the upcoming GT3R that is in testing right now, and the GT3RSR will follow shortly. Wonderful and I am on the list for a 2016 model, but I have to see it win first. It is likely I will wait for 991.2 or 992 GT3RSR just for that reason. It may be silly to most, but it is important to me if I am to pay double the price of an M car.

So, IMHO again, the best performance or sports car from Porsche today is probably the GT4. However, I'd never buy that either because of its compromised rear suspension. Again, if I am to pay a premium to Porsche I want all of the above, not a compromise. If I need to accept a compromise, the best compromise car is an M car in my determination, hence the reason I am here

Btw, here are my views and discussion with Pete_VB on the topic of GT4 (although he still ordered one and I did not ), starting with post #28: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...1061058&page=2
Appreciate 1