View Single Post
      03-29-2013, 04:19 AM   #9
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

Thanks guys.

Pretty sure 315 will not fit the current stock wheel.
Interesting feedback on the Pzeros.

Jan, Stealth, et al,

With the stock tires the odd thing I am finding right now is that as things warm up here and move into the 50-60 (F) range is that the tires are slipping more than they were when it was in the 40-50 (F) range.

Now, granted, this is very unscientific and not "at the limit testing" but it is my general observation for "spirited driving". From a speculation standpoint here are some ideas I have about it, but I can only speculate and see if I can rule any out as time progresses:

1) There may be critical temp range (50-60 F?) where there is actually a dip in traction and traction increases again when temperatures get back into the 70, 80, 90+ range. [How to try validating: I can try to observe further as temperatures increase, but we have had several cycles where I get to experience the 50-60 F range and then it colder again. I think we are done with thart now ad will seee steady temp increases going forward]

2) Driving in sub 50 degree temps may allow "oil soak" into the tire from the road and parking surfaces and the increase in temps is allowing the tires to 'expel' that oil thus giving lower traction. [How to try validating: same test case as 1]

3) Similar to 2, roads warming are allowing the winter "oil soak" to surface at this temp range. [How to try validating: Need a warm/hot hard rain and then drive afterward on the same stretch of asphalt that was driven previously.]

Other comments:

I can tell you that I can see the black staining from the tires on the garage floor much more than any other vehicle I currently or have previously owned. But, that is likely contributed to by the large amount of brake dust generated by the car.

The "suction cup" effect I was getting when I would pull away after the car had been parked in the garage has all but gone away. It was most prominent after I took re-delivery in Dec/Jan.

If you guys can think of other possibilities, I would like to consider them.
Are any of my experiences above similar to other members?
Appreciate 0