01-19-2019, 11:37 PM   #22
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Just add up the total of your down payment and all your monthly payments and subtract what you can sell it for. Financed including tax, I'll assume you paid&owe about $30k and you might be able to sell it for $20k. Remember that you can only get a sales tax deduction if you trade your car in and getting even $20k might be tough. So you'd be out about $10k after only using it a year. Just plug in your actual numbers as these may be way off. A fair amount of money for one year of usage of the car is probably about $3k. If you are out less than $3k, then you're in OK shape.

Then also figure out how much cash you'd end up with. If you still owe $20k on the car, then you'll end up with no money. This isn't necessarily as important as the first calculation. But this is important to make sure you know how much cash you'll end up with. You're in college, seems like this should be pretty easy to figure out.

Generally, selling a used car (unless you got a great deal - in which case you should keep it) after a short period of time will lose you money. A significant amount of money.

As far as winter driving. Learn how to drive better, no disrespect. Winter tires will give you a significant amount of control over what you have now.

Quote:
My car runs like garbage in the winter for some reason (revs high barely moves - not slipping tho)
What does that mean? your engine revs but your tires aren't slipping? Or do you mean transmission? Is the traction control or ESC kicking in? Are you filling up with premium at good gas stations? Winter blends can affect how your car runs. They are also far less fuel efficient. If driven carefully, a 335i can get good enough mileage. All cars get worse mileage in the winter, especially in places like Chicago.
Appreciate 0