View Single Post
      06-02-2020, 10:07 PM   #6
belcom
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 540i, '06 Z4si, '07 Z4MC

Interesting... I got the Z in January and it was sitting in the garage until now. Over the last few months I put the top down and up a bunch of times just for fun. The battery was disconnected most of the winter cold months because it needed the blow by heater recall done so I suppose there was a risk of fire.

Occasionally I would reconnect the battery and start up the engine. So recently I've been working on the engine doing some maintenance and when I was done with it and went for a drive the top would unlatch but would not open.

Thing is though, the previous owner specifically told me that he replaced the top motor so it was new. He showed me pictures of the old rusted out unit. As I was getting pretty upset that now I have to replace the motor again I played around with the red handle in the trunk a bit and then sat down in the car and pressed the open top button and held it, I could hear a faint click of a relay somewhere and an extremely faint sound of a liquid rushing somewhere behind the driver's seat (I do know the motor is right there). Thought ok, what happens if I hold it for a while... so I did and started hearing the fluid rushing sound more and more like there was air in the hydraulics also and then boom the roof started to open, motor activated and since then I have done it a bunch more times and its still working today.

I thought that maybe when he replaced it he did not bleed the system properly and left air in the system and was already thinking of pulling the roof and motor out to bleed the hydraulics however just came across this post where you (JAS1169) mention that its self bleeding so glad I didn't start the process!

Here's one little quirk I had noticed though, before when the roof closed it was more or less gentle on the approach to the windshield but now it kind of slams a bit before latching on. Not a huge deal I suppose but any tips for that?

Don't mean to hijack the thread but since we are on the topic....
Appreciate 0