CityLife
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Yeah, I get that management/finance doesn't approve an individual component. My point was more that the overall budget/design wouldn't have been approved for a parallel track through SOP. There would have been a divergence point (likely around DVT or as late as EVT) where one design/major component would need to be finalized (as you know there are costs, both monetary and time, to source the molds, source the supply, line up capacity requirements, etc.).

Agree that if revenue takes a hit, an emergency injection of capital to fix the issue would 100% get approved.

Re parts that bolt on, while I generally agree with what you are saying, changing the overall bumper design and developing new kidney grills means that there would be additional costs to design, test, and source those components. It's an added cost beyond just modifying the bumper molds and the lights like you noted is usually what's done with LCIs.

I appreciate the response, and I am sure we can go on and on about this process offline if you'd like (I too work in the HW/Component/Auto supply chain side, though as an attorney, so am decently versed in this as well), just didn't have time to write a dissertation on why I thought what you were saying was, while hopeful, likely unrealistic while I was on my way to the bathroom.

Will try to be more detailed in the future.
I appreciate the response, and definitely will take your word for it, that does make sense. My response was speculating based on other industries I have had exposure to outside of the auto industry. My background is in M&A, so you are definitely more qualified here. Really appreciate the info though, although you may have crushed my hopes a bit.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134947.00