View Single Post
      10-08-2008, 05:29 PM   #9
gmza
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
Well, I've been extremely tolerant of Forsdicks Sandton, but have reached my saturation point with them. As for Hyde Park Auto, my brief experience with them on the Saturday that I took my car in (after the fuel pump died) was not good, although they were very helpful with my 325i when the key was stolen.

I've booked my car into Lyndhurst Auto (Melrose Arch) next week so I'm looking forward to seeing what they're like.

My fuel consumption is a lot higher than Dewalds' and others, so it should be interesting to see if they can find anything. They seemed extremely skeptical when I phoned to book it in, but after I started talking dirty (technical) with them they realised I wasn't a complete idiot.

Aside from codes relating to the fuel pump failure last time, there were no other fault codes. It will be interesting to see if they have the knowlege to check things like the MAF sensor readings, lambda sensor, boost pressure, etc, not just to see if they are out of range (which would trigger a fault code), but rather to see if they are relatively high or low (within range).

Annoyingly, they want the car for the whole day, as they cannot commit to have the computer available at a specific timeslot, but frankly I'm more interested in their technical ability then how long it takes, because issues like fuel consumption are notoriously complex, especially if there are no fault codes to use as a starting reference.

In the mean time, I'm averaging 19l per 100km, mostly city driving. And that's on 95 unleaded.
Appreciate 0