M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
M2 sounds nice.
If it sounds nice enough, do you think they'll get rid of Active Sound for the M2? They could then declare a victory for common sense? I mean what would be the purpose of keeping it? Or at least install an on/off switch. Sorta like the Auto Start/Stop. Geez, I hope they, at least, keep that selectable.
BTW, the ladies sound nice, too. I take it that's them on the "cover" of the video.

Please desist with these silly statements/comments about active sound.

Have you driven any of the new turbo cars?

I began autocrossing in 1994 and driving on tracks since 1997... so I think I know what I am doing when it comes to driving a car at high speed, high rpm, using seat of the pants feel, and listening to the engine ... Unfortunately in my 1M.. there have been more than a couple of occasions where I have been on track and ran into the rev limiter (hey... why did the car stop accelerating... Oh wow.... time to shift..!).

Think this isn't practical...? Just wait til the next time a Harley or Crotch rocket pulls up to you at a stop light and you start quickly next to it... you will never hear the motor on your own vehicle.

Street racing... ?? good luck and watch the tach because the car next to you (unless it's another BMW) will be louder... And the 1M tops out at 7k ( some would say one should shift at 6500 rpm... ) and it fucking gets there FAST.. Turbos YO!!

Of course... I could change to a louder exhaust... or install an STI style BLOWOFF VALVE in my 1M so it goes PSHHHHHHHHH every time the boost peaks.....
Yes... those would BOTH help me hear the car.... and they would also violate the warranty.. as well as the expense.

I absolutely would welcome Active Sound on my 1M.... and frankly... most real buyers will either appreciate the feature or barely notice it because they never even push their car past 5K because they bought TOP OF THE LINE and aren't an enthusiast.

IF you buy a car with Active sound.... and IF it bothers you that badly then I am sure there is a way it can be defeated....

1- pull the fuse - FREE
2- or pay someone to code it out... ... CHEAP
3- Replace the head unit or speakers in the stereo with aftermarket items EXPENSIVE

At any rate.... I just gave you 3 solutions to this " problem" ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
You even said it yourself in another thread about the M4. It might sound one way on the outside, but these cars are so well insulated these days that you would barely hear it.

So in short. No, they won't get rid of active sound.
I'm here to tell ya..

PS... this one's for you too Nachob ;-)

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 07-10-2015 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 5