View Single Post
      05-11-2005, 10:56 PM   #21
segfault
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: No longer own a BMW

I used to own a Grand Am GT (too boring and too unreliable), a Jetta VR6 (too unreliable), and then an Altima 2.5S (too boring). I've never driven a boring BMW. Only time will tell if any new model will be reliable. I think that some of the things that give a BMW its superior road feel and feedback make it inherently prone to having certain problems, whereas the Japanese manufacturers would design the same parts to give less road feel in a component that will last for the lifetime of the car.

If you are really that worried, if you are the original owner, you can get a factory-backed 6 year / 100,000 mile BMW warranty for ~$2800 (I think) if you shop around, and extend the prepaid maintenance plan to 100,000 miles or six years for $900 or so. You have until the four year / 50,000 mile expiration of the original warranty and maintenance plan to decide. Just before the warranty is up, take your car to an independent BMW mechanic, tell them your warranty is almost up, and pay for a full inspection. They will point out any items that need to be fixed under warranty--your BMW dealer will only fix them if you complain of a problem.

I agree wholeheartedly with the above posters' comments on Japanese attempts at sport sedans. I drove a G35, and it felt like a luxury sedan, not a sport sedan. My overwhelming impression was that my Mom would love one--and that's not a bad thing, for her. The new M35/45 is advertised as a luxury sedan, not a performance sedan, sport sedan, etc...
Appreciate 0